Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean it’s not a good time for a road trip. In fact, as long as you are well-prepared, it can be the best time of year for a road trip! The snow makes everything seem new and beautiful. Even if you travel to the same place or places you did last summer, it’s an entirely different trip.
The first order of business in making sure your car is in great condition. You should have it inspected before hitting the road:
- Check your tires for tread depth, general wear and tear, and make certain the tires have the right amount of air. Either too much or too little can negatively affect how you stop. Make sure you have adequate snow tires or chains.
- Check all of your lights on the inside and outside. You definitely want to be seen and be able to see!
- Make sure all your fluids are clean and at proper levels. Don’t use water as a windshield-wiping fluid and make sure you have the best anti-freeze.
- Check all the belts to ensure they are in good condition and doing their jobs well.
- Next, bring your emergency kit up to date:
- Non-perishable food/snacks
- Current meds
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Cell phone charger back-up
- Jumper cables
- Extra quart of oil
- Extra coolant/antifreeze
- Warm blanket
- Warm gloves and an extra jacket or two
- Tool kit (screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, pocket knife)
- Ice scraper
- Paper towels
Now… some of our top choices for destinations:
- Glenwood Springs
- Sunlight Mountain Ski Resort
- Glen Eyrie in Colorado Springs
- Estes Park
- Steamboat Springs
When you need help with preparing your vehicle for a wondrous winter road trip, or any other preventive maintenance or auto repair service, turn to the highly skilled auto mechanics at Mancinelli's Auto Repair Center. We will help you get the most out of every vehicle you own. We are located at 375 Logan Street, Denver, CO 80203. You can schedule an appointment online, or visit us. See you soon! Happy New Year!